Before the Course
- FLOSSNet will send participants a Confirmation E-Mail at least 4 days before the course which will contain pertinent information. Participants must read through the e-mail from top to bottom to get a general sense of the e-mail.
- The e-mail will contain links to download (a) the manual, and (b) a zip file. These 2 items must be downloaded as soon as it is possible. For some courses, there will also be a cheatsheet. We strongly recommend that at least the cheatsheet is printed before the course. It will enhance the learning experience.
- The zip file must be unzipped to the Desktop. It will create a folder of the respective course which contains the resources for the applicable course eg. The wordpress.zip will create the “WordPress Course” file. This must be done before the course date.
One Day Before the Course
1. Participants must follow the steps on How to Join the Online Training Course, at least one day before the course. The steps are contained in the Confirmation E-Mail. You are all set when you receive the message: Waiting for the host to start this meeting.
2. We will receive an e-mail indicating that you intended to join the course. In doing so, it means that you are setting up the necessary requirements to join the online training course.
On the Morning of the Course
1. When participants join the online training course, they will be placed in a waiting room and require the trainer to admit them individually.
2. The trainer will admit participants to the training as per the registered participant’s list according to name and surname. Once you have joined, you should hear music playing.
3. By 8:30, participants must follow the steps on: How to Join the Online Training Course.
4. A screen with instructions will be displayed.
Starting the Course
1. The course will start at 9:00 bar any technicalities.
2. At 9:15, the room will be locked and no-one will be allowed to join. Those unable to make it will be allocated to the next training course.
3. The trainer will share his screen and use audio to communicate with the participants. In doing so, participants will be able to follow the steps.
4. The trainer might show his webcam which will be depended on the quality of connectivity. Thus, participants will be able to hear and see the trainer while following the steps on the shared screen. The steps will be repeated and in some cases the steps will be redone to ensure everyone is on board.
5. Participants will be able to use the chat facility to draw the attention of the trainer, ask a question, indicate that he or she must repeat a step, etc.
6. There will be slight pauses of a few seconds between steps to enable everyone to complete the
steps or catch up.
7. We will record the training session where feasible.
During the Course
1. If you get disconnected during the course, then send a Whatsapp message to: 067 972 1888. Telephone calls will not be answered on that number.
2. There are meeting controls at the bottom of the screen which you can use to raise your hand and chat.
3. To draw the attention of the trainer, you will raise your hand, then type a message.
4. The trainer will stop the moment a participant raises his/her hand and attend to the question.
5. There might be occasions where a laptop misbehaves. We will provide participants about 3 minutes to restart their laptop if need be. We will restrict this to 2 occurrences. Thereafter, a participant will have to skip a module and join us with the next module.
Suggestions on Following the Online Training Course
One can follow the training by splitting one’s screen which will be one approach to follow the online training. Below are some suggestions on following the online training course using a second device.
1. You can use two computers. You will watch the online training on one computer and perform the steps on the other computer.
2. You can connect a monitor or a television set to your computer. You will watch the online training on the monitor or television screen and perform the steps on your computer. The newer television sets can take VGA and/or HDMI cables.
3. You use an iPad or a smartphone. You will watch the online training on the iPad or smartphone and perform the steps on your computer.
1. We will provide support from 9:00 – 16:00, Monday to Friday.
2. You must send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. We will provide a response within 4 hours.
4. It is important that Windows is updated on your laptop before the course.
Please take note of the following:
1. You must be confident with the computer and mouse you will be using.
2. You require at least a LTE/4G connection which is stable and 1GB of bandwidth for a 4-hour session.
3. The use of a headset is recommended to block out unwanted noise and distractions.
4. You do not require a webcam to join the online training course; only the laptop’s speakers or a headset or external speakers